Friday, April 15, 2011

The books for Thing 1

As I've mentioned somewhere, I'm being pretty selective about who I'm asking for my book recommendations (so being cranky with me for not asking you is not allowed.) I'm going to really take my time with getting all my recommendations but I'll list them here as I get them.

Book 1:
The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse
Recommended by Ellen
I went to high school with Ellen.  We're pretty different but do share a love of traditional East coast music, seeing Natalie MacMaster together at Centre in the Square when we were in grade 10 (at least, I think it was grade 10.  Maybe 11.) Now, she's living my dream, working in a bookstore.  I figured she sees so many books that she'd have a good recommendation.

Book 2:
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Recommended by Steve 
I met Steve not long after I moved to Waterloo through a girl I worked with (who, incidentally, also introduced me to EDP, if anyone is interested.)  He's an engineer by trade but now mostly just bosses people around, I think.  We have lunch every once in a while and even though he doesn't talk about the books he's reading, he's an interesting guy so I figured he was a good person to ask.  Survivor was about the 4th title he gave me - because I had read the first three.  Or maybe it was only two.

Book 3:
The Lost City of Z by David Grann
Recommended by Sarah Dowdey, from Stuff You Missed in History Class
I'm really excited about this recommendation...  A few months ago, when I was looking for podcasts to listen to while walking Penelope, I found Stuff You Missed in History Class.  It's awesome.  I listened to all the back episodes and now I'm caught up and love when I see a new episode in my iTunes.  It's hosted by Sarah and Deblina, who are thoroughly enjoyable and have a great rapport with each other.  I took a chance and emailed to ask for a recommendation and I got one!!  Neat, eh?

Book 4:
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Recommended by Kirsi
When I was in school, I had a part-time gig telling ghost stories.  It was pretty fun.  I also got to work with some pretty fun people, including Kirsi.  Kirsi ran the show and always had a smile.  The guides were a pretty awesome bunch but I bet we were a handful sometimes. Anyway, she's a delight and it dawned on me that she likely would have a good recommendation.  I've heard about this book before but it's never made it onto my list so I'm kinda excited for this one to be recommended to me.

Book 5:
Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Zailckas
Recommended by Bean
Don't worry, Bean isn't her real name.  It's just a nickname.  I used to work with Bean before the world of desks and meetings and corporate policies got to be too much for her and she went back to the world of academia.  One day, when she's horribly successful, I'm going to be her Chief of Staff.  Given that her background is in English, she's a good pick for my list.  She sent me a few books she's read lately and I'm grabbing the top one from the list for my recommendation list but I'm actually adding the others to my massively long list of books I'd like to read because they all sounded pretty interesting.

Book 6:
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max
Recommended by Stacey
I'm sure some of you have heard me refer to Stacey as the smartest person I know.  She's tried to debate me on that before but there's no way she can dispute that she's the most educated person I know.  This girl has two undergrads - one in Engineering and the other in Psychology.  She has her Masters in Engineering.  She's almost done her PhD in Engineering and she's in law school.  That's FIVE degrees either finished or underway.  Just on her own!  Anyway.  In addition to being ridiculously smart, Stacey is super awesome.  So she's a prime candidate for a book recommendation.  I don't really know anything about this book, aside from the fact that it's not at all the type of book I thought Stacey would recommend.  Still, it looks interesting.

Book 7:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Recommended by Danyal
Danyal is another person I met through the ghost story job. Though, back in that day, we used to call her Jack. There was already a Danielle working when this Danyal started so really, can you blame us? She was also a tour guide at Queen's with me and we did a season of recruiting for Queen's together, too.  In fact, I'd be lying if I said I don't half-expect Danyal to show up where I'm working now and announce we're co-workers again.  It would also be a lie if I said I wasn't half-hoping for it.  She's a pretty neat gal.  Anyway.  She's another one of those people that's a reader but of very different books as me. The Hunger Games isn't something I'd normally pick up for two reasons - one, it's a teen novel and two, it's now a movie and I don't tend to like picking stuff up after it's been made into a movie.  But onto the list it goes.

Book 8:
The Family Fang by Kevin Williams
Recommended by The Savvy Reader
What is that?  The Savvy Reader isn't  person?!  Okay, look, I grant that the Savvy Reader isn't a typical person but there are people behind the tweets.  And one of them has recommended the Family Fang to me.  The Savvy Reader is part of HarperCollins Canada and they tweet some pretty fun stuff.  They are also the originators of the 50 Book Pledge so it seemed like a good idea to tap them for a book.  The Family Fang is supposed to be very funny so it's a good addition to my list.

Book 9:
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Recommended by Jenn
Jenn might be my soulmate.  She works with EDP and quite frankly, she's one of the best things about his job.  She's a pretty sassy girl but she does have an English degree so it could be a danger asking her to recommend a book.  I already had a pick from an English major and I don't want to weigh myself down too much but Jenn is so awesome, I couldn't not ask her.  Hopefully, her pick is good.  Otherwise, I'm going ot make EDP slowly steal all of her office supplies.    

No comments:

Post a Comment