Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thing 10: Explore my square mile

I stole this off of 101 Things of A Wolf but it's a fantastic idea.  In a nutshell, Square Mile Living is similar to the whole local movement.  According to a post on a Frugal Village forum, "In Square Mile Living people try to live as much of their life as possible within a mile radius (squared off) of where they live." With recently moving to a new city, exploring my new neighbourhood sounds like a really good idea.  To be honest, I'm not sure there will be much in my square mile.  We're pretty residential with a big ol' forest thrown in there.  There are a couple of plazas around but not much.  Still, it'll be a good to explore the residential streets to have more options for Penny's walks.

How will I know I'm done?
In addition to knowing where my square mile is, I'll be able to walk anywhere in it without worrying about getting lost and have explored the shops, etc. that I come across.

How am I doing?
We've started exploring!

1 comment:

  1. This is what I said in response to the post about this on 101 Things of a Wolf, and since it applies here, I figured I'd go ahead and copy-paste:

    "Inspired by this post, I did a little finagling with Google Maps and a ruler and figured out where my square mile is. And it's frankly disappointing: except for an elementary school, a daycare, and a church, none of which I have any reason to visit, the entirety of my square mile is residential. Seriously. All of it.

    So I'll be curious to see what falls within your square mile. It's bound to be more interesting."

    ReplyDelete