Saturday, April 16, 2011

Thing 14: Get TBR down to 25 books and keep it under 30 for 3 months

As you may or may not be aware, I like books.  And reading.  Which is handy since those two things go hand-in-hand.  And for the last few years, my pile of books to be read (TBR) has been multiplying.  Every year, I try really hard to get it under control.  And every year, I fail.  Usually miserably.  But it really does make me sad when I pay full price for a book and then see it in the bargain section at Chapters before I get around to reading it.  It's time to get this under control.  The goal will be to get the pile down to 25 books and then keep it under 20 books for at least 3 months.  The 50 Book Pledge that I'm doing in 2011 will help with making the pile smaller but not bringing more books into the house will be tricky.

This was originally down to 10 books and keep under 15 for three months but I found I was focussing too much on this Thing and neglecting others so I've modified the numbers to down to 25 and keep it under 30 for three months.

How will I know I'm done?
This will be a two-parter.  The first part will be when the running list of books I keep in an Excel spreadsheet shows only 25 books.  Once I hit that milestone, I'll be watching for 3 months to make sure it doesn't go up any higher than 29.  If it doesn't, this thing will be done.

How am I doing?
At the beginning of the 101 Things project, there were 49 TBR books on my shelf.  At the end of December, 2012, there were 41.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your TBR-related Thing is actually doable. Unlike mine, which involves getting this mess under 50 books. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete