Monday, May 16, 2011

Thing 45: Join a community garden

This is one of my favourite Things on my list but sadly, probably one that will end up being pulled off.  First, why I put it on the list...  Community gardens are really gaining in popularity with the whole local movement that's big right now.  A community garden is pretty much exactly what it sounds like - a garden that lots of people are a part of.  They can be in public spaces or on private property and the details vary depending on the garden.  Sometimes, you get a little plot and can grow whatever you like and in other situations, you work on a big plot with the other gardeners.  It's great for people who don't have the space to have their own garden.  I love the idea of joining a community garden because I would love to be able to grow my own fruits and veggies but I've never had the right living situation to do it at my own house.

Now on to why this might be pulled off - first of all, Guelph doesn't seem to have a lot of community gardens.  Which I found VERY surprising.  So, finding one might be a challenge.  And secondly, when we get into a house, we really want to be able to plant a vegetable garden.  And it will be in the backyard, not in a community garden.  Because of those two reasons, you may see this Thing substituted for something else.

How will I know I'm done?
The fee will be paid to participate in a community garden for at least one summer.

How am I doing?
Competed April 24, 2012, read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment