Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thing 55: Get an academic letter of reference

This goes in part with writing my GRE as gearing up to apply for my library sciences.  I'll definitely need letters of recommendation and I know I'll need one that is academic in nature.  Since my first degree is professional and not research-based, I'll need one from a class I take towards my BAH.  But, the tricky part is that my classes have pretty much all been online so I haven't had a proper professor, just tapes created in the 80s and a TA to do the marking.  The few classes I have taken in person haven't been in a setting where a reference letter would be any more than "Yeah, she wrote the tests.  I assume she came to class because she did pretty well but there are too many students for me to know for sure."  Now, I'll need to take a seminar or two to finish my degree so the goal is to have a letter at the end of one of those.

How will I know I'm done?
I'm not sure I'll need the actual letter before the end of my 1001 days so having the letter won't be the mark of this Thing finished but rather, I'll have confirmed with a prof that they will write a letter for me and what they'll need to give me a good reference.

How am I doing?
So far, no progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment