Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thing 82: Get a Mac and learn how to use it

Since the dawn of time (i.e. since I started university), I've been in an epic battle with PCs.  Somehow, PCs just don't last around me.  Once, when a laptop didn't even last 24 hours, after suggesting that perhaps I had an electron imbalance, the guy at Future Shop drove me home, set the laptop up and checked the outlets in the house to make sure they were wired properly (turns out, they weren't so there was power surge after power surge hitting the laptop and frying it.)  And right now, the 3-year old desktop I have takes about 10 minutes to start up, 20 minutes to sync my iPhone, not all of the USB ports are working and when I shut it down the other night, it was still shutting down when I got up the next morning.  Point is, after 4 laptops and 2 desktops in 10 years, it's time to admit that PCs have proven their dominance over me.  So, I'm jumping ship and trying my hand with a Mac.

But, I don't really know how to use them so the second part of this Thing will be to figure out how to use the darn thing.  I can do the basic stuff, but Macs are expensive so I want to really get the most of out of it.  I'm thinking "Macs for Dummies" or a course of some kind.

How will I know I'm done?
A Mac on the desk and I'll have finished reading the book or taking the course to learn how to use it.

How am I doing?
Completed December 2, 2012, read about it here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Check out this link as well http://canadaedu.apple.com/routing/
    I get deals over the summer through OCT, with free or discounted iPods

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already got it... I'm eligible for educational pricing since I'm still in school.

    ReplyDelete