Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mrs. Phim, Maria & Nelson

Have I mentioned any of these folks to you?  No?  Really?  That’s a surprise.  Okay, well, I will right now.

Mrs. Phim lives in Cambodia with her husband who has a well-digging business. Maria runs a stationary & dry goods shop in Mexico. Nelson sells medical books in Bolivia. I’ve lent all of them $25 to help them out with their businesses.

Mrs. Phim & Maria are both paying me back.  Nelson is still trying to raise the $1,200 he needs to purchase inventory to sell at a fair in his city in July.

I found all three of them through Kiva.  I was actually the first person to lend to Nelson, which I found kinda cool.

I joined Kiva in April and since then, I’ve lent a total of $75.  $6.42 of that has already been repaid.  You can see more details about my loans on my lender page.  The average Kiva user has loaned $236.11 and has $41.56 in outstanding loans so I still have a ways to go. 

If you’ve even remotely pondered the idea of getting involved in microlending, give it a try.  It is such an easy way to make a difference.  As of right now, there are 814 loans that are fundraising.  I’m sure one of them would interest you.

Join Kiva.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica Jackley, founder of KIVA, was the speaker at TED who left the biggest impact on me - in her speech, and in her appreciation for life. She was a pleasure to work with. My current company has done over 3000 loans with KIVA. It's really the best!

    ReplyDelete