Friday, September 2, 2011

August 2011 Recap

Another month has come and gone and I have gotten NOTHING finished.  AGAIN.

I still have lot on the go but it is time to pick up my socks and start finishing some things.  I had been hoping that I would make steady progress throughout all 1001 days but it's not looking too good for me.  I'm not even going to look at the average number of days I have to get the rest of my tasks done.  I think it'll make me stare blankly at the screen for a good half hour and let's face it, if I don't get my butt in gear, I'll need every single possible minute for finishing up my Things.

Okay, so nothing done but how much progress did I make on the things I have in progress?

  • I finished the first of my 12 books for Thing 1.  I've kinda slacked off in asking for recommendations for books so I still need 6 recommendations.  While my plan is to very carefully choose people to ask for recommendations based on a number of top secret factors, if anyone wants to post a comment with a recommendation, I'll add at least one to my list.  Next up is Sarah & Deblina's recommendation - the Lost City of Z, which I will also be listening to.  
  • I sent my handwritten letters through two postcards while we were in Halifax.  I will probably leave my September letter until we're in Prague & Vienna and send a couple more postcards from each to cover September and October.  Should you wish to receive a postcard, send me your address.  
  • I'm still taking drum lessons, though I can't remember if I had a lesson in August or not.  Now that fall is here, the lessons will be more regular.  Also, I just agreed to buy some drums off someone who posted a set on our electronic bulletin board at work so I'm pretty committed to this one now.
  • While my debt continues to fall, so does the balance in my TFSA.  If the stock market doesn't improve, and my company's price in particular, $10,000 may never happen.  
  • Penny and I have walked 17.39 km in August, bringing our total km walked to 76.23 km.
  • I have 47 books on my TBR pile (down one from July) and I've read 33 books for my 50 Book Pledge (up from 28 in July)
  • I tried a couple of new recipes in August - most notably a tasty chocolate mousse and a new recipe for chocolate zucchini cake.  I also made a bunch of zucchini bread but I have no idea if the recipe I used for that was new or not - it's been forever since I've made zucchini bread but there's a good chance I used a recipe I've used before.  That takes me to 6 new recipes but I'm sure I've tried more than that so I need to get better at remembering to record them.
  • My orchid is doing okay.  It doesn't have any flowers left but only one of the two plant stems died and it still has several very healthy looking leaves so I have hope that it'll stay alive for a few more months, though no hope it'll ever see flowers again.  I'm at the 2.5 month mark so I'm pretty pleased with myself on this one.
  • I still have one more session with Doug before I can say I know how to use EDP's DSLR.  I'm going to email Doug about the last one today.  Promise.  
  • I haven't gotten a book yet to finish learning how to use my Mac.  Maybe I'll get that ordered today, too.
  • EDP and I went to see Train & Maroon 5 earlier this month as my second of five concerts.  Train was amazing.  Maroon 5 was okay.  I particularly enjoyed all the teenage girls who only knew Train's recent stuff and sat down for Meet Virginia and Drops of Jupiter.  
  • I've made 8 microloans and donated 16,660 grains of rice.  
  • I hardly read anything on Wikipedia and am only 61 articles read.
  • I still have that pile of stuff going to get rid of and I actually got 1 thing out the door this month - I went through the bin of warranties & instruction manuals I have and tossed the warranties that have expired and the manuals for the stuff that's no longer around.  I counted them all as one item, even though there were probably 25 booklets and sheets that went into the recycling.  

So what's coming up in September?  Most exciting for EDP and I, we will be leaving in 3 weeks for Prague & Vienna.  YAY!  While we're there, I should be finishing up drinking a beer (as the Czech Republic is known for its beer), relaxing in a hot spring (as we're planning to go to one of the most famous hot springs in the world - Karlovy Vary, perhaps better known to most as Carlsbad), and going to the zoo (Sch√∂nbrunn Palace palace in Vienna has a zoo that I'm going to see even if EDP and EDP's pal don't come with me.)  I'm not sure if I'll be updating this blog while we're away but I will be blogging our entire trip over at Waltzing Beyond the Iron Curtain so you can keep on top of things over there.

Finally, lest you should accuse me of slacking, the entire time I've been writing this post, I've been listening to songs from Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs of all Time.  So there.  I think Penny liked it when I danced and sang along with Johnny B. Goode because she kept trying to lick my face.  Wait, maybe she was trying to get me to keep my mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment