Sunday, September 25, 2011

I drank a beer just to try it, hope my white wine don't mind it

In case you are unware, I'm blogging from Prague right now.  EDP and I arrived this morning (and I'll be posting about our day on my travel blog after this.)

Look at me!  I can do this!
Drinking a beer went on my list after we were out at a brewery with EDP's parents and I sampled a couple of beers and didn't want to douse my tongue with gasoline when I was done.  I figured we'd buy some beer from the brewery and I'd drink one of those and be able to say that I had drank an entire beer at least once in my life.  Then we booked a trip to Prague.

The Czech Republic is a beer-oriented country.  It seemed like it would be the perfect place to drink my first beer.  So tonight, we set out to find a restaurant not far from the Old Town Square for some traditional Czech fare.  Once settled in, our waiter took our drink orders.  A glass of pinot grigio for EDP and a Pilsner Urquell for me.  

Oh, this doesn't taste very good.
Having briefed myself on the history of this beer (read: I read the Wikipedia article), I am now aware that it has been fermented in Pilsen, Czech Republic since 1842 and was the first pilsen type beer in the world.  9 out of 10 beers in the world are actually derived from the original Pilsen beer.  Clearly, this is not only a beer that really represents the Czech Republic but it also represents most beers in the world.

So, now, it's time for my review:
Eeeewwwwwwwwwww.

Sorry, I didn't like it.  It did start tasting a bit better when I started eating my traditional Bohemian cabbage pancakes but I won't be going out of my way for another (though, my beer was 1/3 the price of EDP's wine...)  I did finish it, though, so I can cross this one off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment