Friday, September 30, 2011

September 2011 Recap

So after a bit of a dry spell, I managed to finish 3 things this month.  I had been hoping for a fourth but it didn't pan out as I expected.

The first thing I finished off was earlier in the month when I baked a key lime pie.  It was awful.  EDP thought it was okay but I didn't like it at all.  Needless to say, I will be sticking with peach, apple and lemon meringue.  The second thing I finished off was learning how to use EDP's DSLR camera.  I had started this a few months ago but didn't get my third session booked until September.  But it's done now so learning to use the camera is complete.  And the third thing I finished was drinking a beer, which was done on our first night in Prague.  I had also hoped to count our thermal swim in Karlovy Vary as relaxing in a hot spring but it wasn't very warm at all.  

I made some decent progress on my ongoing things, as well:
  • I've started listening to the Lost City of Z by David Grann, which was recommended to me by the Stuff You Missed in History Class ladies (specifically, Sarah.)  I'm about halfway through and it's been interesting so far
  • I sent a couple of handwritten postcards already from Prague - hopefully they arrive sometime this year.
  • I'm still doing my drum lessons, which are going to be greatly enhanced by the drums I bought (which include a fancy Zildjian cymbal that was made in Canada!  A rare thing, indeed, though not at all valuable)
  • My debt and my TFSA are continuing their trend of decreasing balances.  I gave strict instructions to my colleagues to get the stock price up to $19 while I was on vacation but it doesn't look like they are taking me seriously.  
  • Penny and I have walked a total of 85.03 km.  
  • I've read 38 books for my 50 Book Pledge (up from 33 in August) and my TBR pile is down to 46 books (down from 47 in August.)
  • My Dad's birthday gave me the chance to try two new recipes and along with the soup and that damn pie I tried, I brought my total up to 10.
  • I've listened to 31 of Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs.
  • My orchid is still alive, though there are no flowers left on it.  I'm past the half-way mark with it now, which I'm quite pleased with.  
  • I'm still at 16,660 grains of rice donated through freerice.com but I did make another microloan through Kiva, bringing me up to 9 loans made,
  •  I've read 63 articles on Wikipedia, which is not very many at all. 
  • We tried a new Thai place and a new Chinese place, which were both excellent contenders for becoming our go-to places.
  • I saw my Gran twice this month - once for her birthday and once on the way to the airport for our trip.  I'll see her again at Thanksgiving so I imagine she's going to be sick of me soon.  
  • I signed up for a 24 hour read-a-thon in October.
  • I ordered and received a book on how to use my Mac that I've looked at but haven't gotten past the first few pages.
  • I tossed out a couple more things - some socks that have seen better days and a couple of pairs of EDP's boxers (though, I'm not sure I should count them in my 101 things...)
  • Oh, and while this doesn't really count as progress - Penny and I are waiting for the next evaluation session for her to become a therapy dog.  I really don't hold out much hope, but if she passes, she and I will be volunteering together for 25 hours.
October will see a few more things get finished up.  My Kiva repayments for October will be over $25 so there's no reason I won't make my 10th loan, which will finish off Thing 48.  I'm also going to the Vienna zoo early in October (or perhaps in late September - I'm writing this on the 28th and we're heading to Vienna on the 29th.)  And, that read-a-thon will be taking place, as well.  And voting in the provincial election.  That seems like a busy enough month, though I need to be finishing something every 8.86 days to stay on track with my things so maybe I'll need to find something else to do, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment