Sunday, October 16, 2011

Getting ready for my read-a-thon...

This Saturday, starting at 8 am, I'm spending 24 straight hours reading as part of the Dewey 24-hour Read-A-Thon. I believe we've already discussed why this is a bad idea.

Anyway. Today, I sat down and started stacking up the books that I'm going to be reading. I'm not sure how many books I should be expecting to read.  If I can finish 6 books, I'll also end up finishing my 50 Book Pledge at the same time.  Right now, I'm sitting at 43 books read.  I know I'll finish at least one more this week, putting me at 44 when the read-a-thon starts.  A book every four hours doesn't seem too bad but I know I won't actually log 24 hours of reading time.  Why not?  Well, there's more to this read-a-thon than just reading.  There are also mini-challenges to participate in and they also encourage people to blog throughout the 24 hours.  I'm also really likely to fall asleep at some point.  So can I still finish 6 books in that time frame?  I'm not too sure.

But back to that stack of books...  I've got 9 books ready for me.  7 of them are physical books, 2 are audio.

The audios are for when I'm doing things that are harder to do when reading a physical book, like walking Penny or showering.  They aren't going to be the focus of my reading but I will turn them on when a physical book just isn't cutting it.  They are The Lost City of Z by David Grann and The High Road by Terry Fallis.  The Lost City of Z is also one of the books from Thing 1, which is nice.  I might end up finishing it before the read-a-thon starts since I only have about 4 hours left in it and I'm out of podcasts for my drive to work right now.  The High Road is the sequel the The Best Laid Plans, which some of you may recall won Canada Reads last year.  I finished The Best Laid Plans maybe a week or so ago and loved it so finding out there was a sequel made me really happy!  BTW, if you are interested in either book, both are offered in their entirety as a free podcast through iTunes.

The physical books will be the focus for my reading time.  I'm not planning on sitting and reading one after another but rather reading what I feel like whenever I feel like it.  If I need a break or my mood changes, I'll just pick something else up.  So there is a chance I won't finish anything during the entire 24 hours.  But I'm hoping that's not the case - I've picked my books carefully.  And what are they?  Well...


The top two are my book club books that I should have already finished but haven't.  I'm part-way through the Corrections by Jonathan Franzen and I haven't started Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert at all.  The next book is Ivory Tower Blues by James Cote and Anton Allahar, a couple of guys from U of T who wrote this book to reflect on how the university system in Canada is in crisis with rapidly declining quality.  I'm part-way through this one, as well, and it's REALLY interesting but I just haven't had one of those sessions with it where I get right into it and can't put it down.  I'm hoping that I can get one or two chapters of it done during the read-a-thon.  The next is another book that I've already started - the Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  I've actually been reading it on my Kobo instead of the paper copy that I have.  I'm undecided on whether or not I'll continue to read it on the Kobo or switch to the paper copy for the read-a-thon.  Probably the Kobo so that I can change things up a bit.  This is another one I don't expect to finish but would rather just see some decent progress on.  The last three are books I haven't started yet - Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz, the Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, and What's Your Number? By Karyn Bosnak.  The first two are books I got for my birthday and the third is a book that has recently landed on my TBR pile.  All three of these will be relatively light reads for me - I think there's a good chance that I'll get at least one, if not two, done.  I'm counting on them for lighter reading when I'm starting to get tired or need a break from some of my in-progress books.

So that's the plan.  If anyone's done a read-a-thon and has tips, I'm happy to hear them.  And, it's not too late for people to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment