Monday, October 31, 2011

October 2011 Recap

PeneloBEE
I'm writing to you from my sofa on Halloween.  I should be having to frequently sigh & put my netbook on the coffee table to get up to answer the door for trick-or-treaters but we haven't had a single person ring our bell.  NOT A SINGLE PERSON.  Good thing we bought all that candy.  And good thing I dressed Penny up for the night.

Anyway.  Enough of my bitterness.

October has now come and gone and I've done pretty decently this month.  Let's recap, shall we?

I started out the month in Vienna with EDP & a friend of his who is currently living in Germany.  While we were in Vienna, we visited the Schönbrunn zoo.  That took care of going to the zoo.  Next to be crossed off the list was making 10 microloans.  I made my 10th loan in October, completely funded by repayments from other loans I made earlier.  I'm really enjoying lending money through Kiva and I'm looking forward to making many more loans.  After that, my 24 hour read-a-thon was up.  I amazed myself by being able to stay up for the ENTIRE night, though, it was hard to stay awake and I didn't get as much read as I expected.  It was a fun experience and I'm probably going to participate in the next one.  And finally, I completed my 50 Book Pledge, finishing off my 50th book this year.

Beyond that, I made progress on a few of my other ongoing Things.

  • I finished listening to The Lost City of Z, one of my 12 books that was recommended by Sarah of Stuff You Missed In History Class - it was pretty good and definitely something anyone interested in lost cities, the Amazon, explorers or similar topics should add to their list of books to read.
  • I sent a few postcards from Vienna, covering off my handwritten letter for the month
  • I'm continuing to take the drums, which are flipping awesome.
  • My debt and my TFSA are still trending downwards.  Sigh.
  • Penny and I have walked 93.82 km, including a delightful walk on Sunday morning to see some of the post-Halloween walk-of-shamers (we only saw a slutty soccer player, who may have actually just been a soccer player heading to practice.  It's hard to tell sometimes.)
  • My TBR pile is growing and is sitting at 51.  It's not my fault, my book club picked a few more titles.  
  • I tried 3 new recipes - or at least, 3 that were good enough that I still remember them - making it 14 new recipes that I've tried.
  • My orchid is still alive after 4 months!
  • I've donated 29,700 grains of rice and read 68 Wikipedia articles
  • I saw my Gran at Thanksgiving.  And I'm seeing her in two weeks.  I wonder if she's going to start pretending she's not home when I show up.
  • I've read about 15 pages of that book on how to use my Mac.
  • I remembered to vote.
  • I'm on track with saving $25 for each of my finished Things.  
I don't have anything planned for November so I'll have to really focus on making progress on the stuff I've got in progress.  I haven't really shortened the time frame I need to be finishing things in so I'll have to find a couple of Things to finish off, too.

1 comment:

  1. (we only saw a slutty soccer player, who may have actually just been a soccer player heading to practice. It's hard to tell sometimes.)

    My favourite part.

    ReplyDelete