Sunday, November 11, 2012

Learning to DIY

Owning a house means I no longer have a landlord to call to fix stuff.  EDP and I aren't the most useless people in the world when it comes to basic repairs but there's a lot we can't do.  So I signed up for a class on basic home repairs for women at Conestoga College.

What a freaking waste of money.  I couldn't even bring myself to finish the course up.  Let's go through a few of the items that made this a complete waste of time:
  • After one of the women cut herself on a handsaw (a minor, minor cut - barely more than a scratch), we were no longer allowed to use jigsaws
  • Not only were we not allowed to use the mitre saws but he wouldn't even explain how to use one
  • The "wall" we drywalled was about 2 square feet
  • Everything was in groups - which is so handy because when I do a basic home repair at home, of course I'll have three other women with me
  • The instructor either over-explained things or didn't explain things at all
There's more, I know there is but I'm getting annoyed just thinking about these few things.  I'm not sure I really learned anything at all.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sign up for every workshop Home Depot offers.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if I would prefer a college class either, when you can find pretty much anything about home maintenance online. HouseLogic.com has plenty of DIY guides as well. Cheers!
    -Jon

    ReplyDelete